Friday, April 12, 2013

Maybelline Color Tattoos in Inked in Pink and Tough as Taupe

Hi all!  It's been a long time since I've posted...but to be fair, its my exam season and it's final semester as an undergraduate!  But I'm back with a review, and this time, it's on Maybelline Color Tattoos.  I bought these a while ago (more like during February) but I've been using them and testing them out!  These are the first cream eyeshadows that I own, I'm not a fan of cream eyeshadows because I have oily lids to begin with, so cream eyeshadows and oily eyelids are not a good combination in my head.  But these have proven me wrong!


What Are These?
These are cream eyeshadows (very similar to the MAC paint pots, I don't own one, but I have many friends who do!).  Although the packaging they are in seems like there is a lot of product, there is 0.14oz/4g of product, which would last me for some time for sure!  You get some setting time to fix it up on your eyelids, but once it sets, its a bit tough to work with, so definitely don't layer it on, you don't want to put a big slab and then realize you put to much or can't even it out.  Now some people say that you don't have to use primer with them but I do just to decrease the chances of creasing.  These are amazing bases to help you're colors pop!

Packaging?
These come in a glass pot with a black twist off lid.  These will definitely crack if you were a little careless and dropped it on the floor but my room is carpeted so I'm not too scared.  Now I'm not sure if this type of packaging will prevent the product from drying out but since I'm using them, that shouldn't be too much of a problem then.

Colors?
Currently, there are the regular colors and then there are metal inspired colors.  I have one from each 'collection'.  Tough as Taupe is from their regular collection and Inked in Pink is from their metal collection.  I originally wanted to get Barely Branded (which is a light champagne color) but they didn't have it, so the next most neutral color was Inked in Pink.  These were the only two colors that really stood out to me since I'm not too big on the other colors yet...maybe when I get really great at applying eyeshadow I'll consider buying the other colors.

Price?
So when I bought these a couple of months ago, the Walmart that I went to had actually put up the wrong price.  On the display it said $4.95 (CDN) so I was like oh no harm to try these out since people were raving about them.  Then when I got to the register, it rang up $6.94 (CDN) but the lady gave it to me for what it said on the display because it was Walmart's fault they had put up the wrong price.  But currently though, Walmart has a price cut on these and the regular collection is $5.94 (CDN), while the metal collection is $4.94 (CDN), I don't know why there is a difference but I might head back to pick up Barely Branded!

My Take?
I think these are great, especially since they are the first cream shadows that I do own.  They kind of add dimension to my shadows especially my taupe shadows when I use Tough As Taupe.  You don't have to use these as a base, you could also use them as just a wash of color on your eyelids but make sure you blend it out so it doesn't look harsh on your lids.  But with the Hard Candy's version coming out, I might give those a try too!  I don't think you need all of them but having some in your collection will definitely help to make your eyeshadow pop!  Inked in Pink is a dream to work with, it blends out perfectly on my lids but Tough as Taupe I found was a bit harder to work with, maybe because it is a matte rather than a shimmer.

Swatches?
* All swatches are done without primer

Inked in Pink:
- a frosty baby pink


Tough as Taupe:
- a matte taupe with undertones of purple



So here is my take on Maybelline's Color Tattoos, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment