Thursday, April 18, 2013

Covergirl's Eye Enhancers in Golden Sunset and Urban Basics

So recently, Rexall had Buy One Get One Free for their Covergirl products and I decided that it would be a good time to give Covergirl products a try again.  I had purchased some eyeshadow quads and trios from them and absolutely hated them, but decided maybe I need to give them another try...AND I also wanted to try out their new foundation (Outlast Stay Fabulous 3 in 1 Foundation).  So I decided to pick up two additional eyeshadow quad/trio, and as much as I didn't want to get more browns and neutrals, I still ended up getting the same colors.



I wasn't expecting much from these since my previous encounter with Covergirl shadows but these surprised me!  I've only worn them a couple of times but here is my take on them!

Urban Basics:
This popped out to me because of the beautiful taupe shade included in the quad....and that is why I picked it up.  Yeah, I'm pretty much an impulse buyer but hey makeup is my weakness, especially eyeshadows! So Urban Basics is very neutral and wearable colors, it includes a pastel purple, light taupe, glittery peach pink and an off white satin.  When I swatched them on my hand with no primer, I did have a bit of difficultly getting the pastel purple and shimmer pink to show up but the taupe and the off white were good payoff.  I think that I've come to accept the fact that these colors are meant to be sheer on the eyelids because when I used them with a primer on my lids...you really couldn't tell the colors apart (besides the off white).  I was really hoping for this quad to work because the colors are actually really nice, its a different step from my brown eyeshadows, these are more spring like neutral colors.  Maybe applying a different base underneath would help them appear better!  This was originally $8.99 CDN but since it was Buy One Get One Free, this was $4.50 CDN, but at this price, I would rather purchase Wet n' Wild simply because it's has so much better pigmentation and for $0.50 CDN more, I get 8 colors rather than 4!

Golden Sunset:
This was definitely the better Covergirl quad/trio I've tried!  I have a bazillion browns and gold colors but it was the off yellow color that I was definitely interested in because I don't think I've ever had a color like that in my collection!  This trio comes with a shimmery brown, a copper gold and a off yellow satin.  Compared to Urban Basics, I can definitely see myself using this trio for a complete eye look because it has a highlighter, lid color and a outer v color.  The pigmentation for this trio was probably the best I've ever had for Covergirl, it was smooth and not chalky at all!  I can definitely see myself wearing this trio for the summer during those beautiful sunny days!  I think that with the Covergirl eyeshadows, it's really a hit and miss because sometimes you get the great ones and sometimes you get the not so good ones!  But I think after this final attempt with Covergirl, I probably won't purchase more shadows from them unless I know for sure it's one that has good pigmentation and people are raving about!  This was originally $8.99 CDN but since it was Buy One Get One Free, this was $4.50 CDN.

After getting a chance to wear both, I definitely found Urban Basics is one of those eyeshadow quads where you can't mess up your makeup with!  But I would definitely like to know what all your favourite Covergirl quads/trios are so that I can potentially give them a try again!

No comments:

Post a Comment