Friday, March 22, 2013

the Balm's Shady Lady Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Vol. 3







So this is my first time purchasing the Balm's cosmetics and I really wanted to give their eyeshadows a try since I had heard such amazing things about their Nude'tude palette (even though I never actually picked it up).  So I've been into make up for quite some time and honestly, I have always asked myself, why haven't I bothered to try out the Balm's cosmetics?  Then it hit me...it's so hard to find in Canada!  Besides Hautelook events, the only place that I can actually go to purchase the Balm's cosmetics is at a drug store called Rexall.
So a couple weeks back, I went to Rexall during their Buy One Get One Free event for the Balm's cosmetics...needless to say, I dropped a lot of money on cosmetics on that one trip!  I think my boyfriend had a jaw dropping moment when I was at checkout because he had clearly never seen me spend that much in one shot.  But onto the review and swatches!

What are these?
These palettes are eyeshadow only palettes (no duh lol)!  Each palette contains 9 shadows, I'm not sure if the shades in each palette are palette only shades or if they have singles of them since I'm not too familiar with the Balm's cosmetics.  I didn't notice it until now, but each palette has a slightly different weight to it, Vol. 1 has a weight of 19.4g/0.68oz, Vol. 2 has a weight of 17g/0.6oz and Vol. 3 has a weight of 14.4g/0.51oz....hmmmm are they decreasing the amount of product in each palette?

Packaging?
Each palette comes in a cardboard sleeve that matches the palette's design and on the back of the sleeve, it has the colors that are in the palette.  The palettes all have a magnetic closure and they feel pretty sturdy since everytime I try to open them, you have to apply a bit of pressure to open the palettes.  But I wouldn't say these would be something appropriate for just throwing in your purse because it would definitely find a way to open up!  When you open up the palette, you have the nine shadows and then a big mirror.




Colors?
I found the color selection in these palettes to be pretty wide range but they aren't super bright colors.  Many of them would definitely fit into the neutral realm of colors with your occasional green, blue or even purple.  But I really appreciate it because I'm still having restraints when it comes to bright colors.  Each palette always comes with a great dark shade and a great highlighter which is always a plus because it usually means I can complete an eye look with just one palette and not have to go through different palettes to find the certain colors I need.  I did find that Vol. 1 had much more darker colors than the other two volumes, while Vol. 3 had the much more lighter colors of the three volumes.  In all three palettes, the shades satin, or satin with glitter, there are no mattes unfortunately, although I do own the Balm's Meet Matte palette.  On the palettes themselves, above each shadow is the name and what it can be used as (either as a shadow or a liner).  Each eyeshadow pot is slightly larger than a quarter so you do get a good amount of product!

Vol. 1:

Vol. 2:


Vol. 3:



Price?
On the Balm's website, these are $39.50 (USD).
On the Sephora website, these are $51 (CDN).
At Rexall, these are $40 (CDN).
On sale at Rexall during the BOGO event, each palette was $20 (CDN)...complete steal right?

My Take?
Overall, I really like these palettes, they offer a good range of colors that aren't too out there.  Since I got them on sale, there's not much to complain about.  Did I really need all them...probably not, but I got too hung up on the moment and snatched all three up.  I have a lot of other shadows that are probably dupes to some of these and so I think I could have got off just buying one of them.  But by having all three, it has allowed me to try out some eyeshadows from the Balm.  I think I really prefer Vol. 2 because it has colors that I would often reach for, it definitely has more neutrals.  I don't have a particular color makes me crazy though.  I find that with all eyeshadows though, you definitely need a primer, so needless to say, so did these shadows.  Without primer, they just aren't as lively on the lid, if you know what I mean?  I found all the shadows to be pretty pigmented and you'll see on the swatches below.  I'll definitely be purchasing more from them if anything catches my eyes in the future!

Swatches?
*All swatches are done without primer
*Swatches are as the color appears in the palette!

Vol. 1:
     


Colors from left to right:
1) Caught in the Act Courtney - a chocolate brown with golden shimmers
2) Shameless Shana - a satin light brown with orange undertones
3) Luscious Lani - pink champagne satin
4) Jealous Jordana - forest green satin with green shimmers
5) Risque Renee - a navy blue satin
6) Curvy Cami - a grape purple satin with a golden sheen
7) Jetting Jennifer - a golden satin
8) All About Alex - an olive green satin
9) Easy Wheezie - a blue with purple undertones satin

Vol. 2:
     

Colors from left to right:
1) Caught in the Act Courtney - same from Vol. 1 (didn't notice until writing this post...hmmm)
2) Feisty Felicia - a dark purple satin with purple golden shimmers
3) Insane Jane - grey satin with a hint of green undertones
4) Bossy Bobbi - a dark primary blue satin
5) Makeout Mary - a deep leaf green satin 
6) Just This Once Jamie - a pale rose pink satin
7) Mischievous Marissa - a peachy brown satin
8) Tempting Tara - a creamy ivory satin 
9) Devilish Danielle - a light pink satin
*In the swatches, Tempting Tara and Devilish Danielle look the same but in real life they aren't!

Vol. 3:
     

Colors from left to right:
1) Lusty Lee - a baby blue satin
2) Envious Erin - a cream white satin
3) Racy Kacy - a red brown satin
4) Safe Bet Annette - a baby pink satin
5) Runaround Rebecca - an olive green satin with a golden sheen and a hint of a red sheen
6) Come-Hither Heather - a purple grey satin 
7) Open to Offers Olwen - a teal blue satin
8) All the Way Annie - a purple satin with silver shimmers
9) Guilty Gwen - a dark grey (almost black) satin with silver shimmers

So here is my take on the Balm's Shady Lady Vol. 1, Vol. 2 and Vol. 3!  Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment