Monday, March 4, 2013

Galaxies Away...



So galaxy nails were in like maybe last year I think?  But here is my rendition of galaxy nails and hopefully my steps help so that you guys can create your own galaxy nails too!
For galaxy nails though, I tend to use ALOT  of nailpolish, you don't have to use as many as I do, but I did find with experience that more colors means the colors transition a bit better, but definitely find what suits you the best!

So What Did I Use for This Nail Art:

Nailpolish (Listed in Order from Left to Right in the Picture):
1) Sally Hansen's Black Out (a black creme)
2) Sally Hansen's Natural White (a white creme)
3) Wet n' Wild's Tickled Pink (a bubblegum pink creme)
4) Wet n' Wild's On A Trip (a purple with blue undertones creme)
5) Wet n' Wild's Kaleidoscope (a clear polish with varying sizes of glitter) 
6) NYC's Pink Promenade Creme (a red magenta creme) 
7) China Glaze's Lemon Fizz (a pale yellow creme) 
8) Essie's Mezmerised (a true blue creme) 
9) Sally Hansen Top Coat 
*Important Note: I found that using creme shades left me with a much better result for some reason, that is why all the shades that I will actually be using to create the galaxy are creme!


Non-Nailpolish:
1) A Sponge Tip Applicator - your can actually buy these as make up stores like Sephora or even check Walmart, but I just use the ones that come with my palettes
2) An Index Card - this will be kind of like your artist mixing board, rather than dipping the sponge tip applicator into the nailpolish bottle, you'll dab a bit of polish onto the index card and sponge the color onto your applicator before applying it to your nail, it makes it a lot easier to control and prevents you from putting too much polish onto the spongetip applicator without knowing 


What Did I Do:
1) As usual apply a base coat to protect your nails from staining (I skipped this step because I'm going to take this off after).

2) Apply two coats of any black nail polish (I'm using Sally Hansen's Black Out), wait for each coat to dry.










3) Put a little drop of white polish (I'm using Sally Hansen's Natural White) on to the index card and use your  sponge tip applicator to pick up some polish and dab any excess on the index card.  Then starting that the middle of your finger, sponge on the white polish.  Create somewhat of a diagonal line, concentrating most of the color in the middle of your finger.  Don't worry if the white isn't opaque, galaxies are see through!
4) Take a little bit of blue polish (I'm using Essie's Mesmerised) and lightly sponge it onto the white, don't worry if the colors become mixed!
5) Now take a purple polish (I'm using Wet n' Wild's On a Trip) and sponge along the rim of your galaxy.  Make sure your applicator isn't load with polish, the trick is to be light handed!

6) Now take a magenta polish (I'm using NYC's Pink Promenade Creme) and sponge lightly on the interior of your galaxy.  Have a gentle hand with this particular color because it's bright against the blue, white and purple.








7) Now take a pale yellow polish (I'm using China Glaze's Lemon Fizz) and sponge it lightly into the middle of your galaxy and use whatever is left on the ends of your galaxy.








8) Take the white polish (I'm using Sally Hansen's Natural White) and lightly just sponge it into the middle of your galaxy to bring back some whiteness to your galaxy.

9) Apply a thin coat of glitter (I'm using Wet n' Wild's Kaleidoscope) to your galaxy.
10) Finish it off with a coat of top coat to protect your beautiful design!












I wouldn't recommend this if you're in a rush because this nail art is quite time consuming.  After your sponge each layer, you have to give it time for it to dry a bit.  My first attempt to do all 10 fingers, took me about 2-3 hours, but with practice, you can probably shrink that time down to like 1-1.5 hours.  Still a long time but they are very pretty!  Definitely experiment with different colors and make different colored galaxies, have fun! 
Enjoy and let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment